The Area Archivist is part of the A.A. structure and is appointed by the Area Chairperson with the approval of the Area Committee. The primary duties of the archivist are to receive, classify and index all relevant material of CNIA, including, but not limited to, files & records, correspondence, and literary and art factual works considered to have historical importance to CNIA or Alcoholics Anonymous.
It is the responsibility of the Archives Chairperson to:
- Ensure that the Archives Center (located at 1807 Navy Drive, Stockton, California) is open to members for one Saturday of each month, for a period of four hours.
- Select, preserve, sort, and categorize materials at location above.
- Maintain and bring Archives displays to all Assemblies, District functions, and other A.A. functions that do not interfere with the Assemblies and District functions.
- Make oral tapes of histories for Archives files.
- Encourage donations of materials to CNIA Archives.
- Make recommendations of improvement needs at Archives Center.
- Be available to attend the National Archives Workshop.
- Archivist may succeed himself/herself.